Monday 7 February 2011

Evaluation of School Magazine

I tried to follow as many school magazine codes and conventions as possible so that the genre was obvious. First of all, on my front cover I used several photos of students. I used one main image as the background (which 'Fusion' did) and smaller ones to show what is inside. There are also several headlines on the front cover so the reader knows what to expect inside. The font is simple and there is not much variety but this is often seen in school magazines. The language is clear and concise, also emphasising the simple aspect of the magazine and the name is bold and in the top left hand corner (more conventions). I used a simple colour scheme: deciding to stick to red and black, which is quite eye catching (which also feature in 'Chill'). I continued to use this colour scheme on the contents page aswell to create a sense of unity. This is also seen with the font, the bold titles and the red line that appears under the title. On the contents page I only included two images, far less than the front cover, which is often seen in school magazines. The language is simple and fun eg. "What's Going On?" is the title (which is also big and bold). The various headlines are on the left hand side with a small blurb underneath and the page numbers on the right. Overall I think that my magazine follows codes and conventions well.

I took several different shots for my magazine but most were medium close-ups. I did this by adjusting the zoom and focus on the camera to create a decent quality photo. I also tried to use mainly natural light as this produces a less yellow look and makes the photos seem more calm. However on the main image I used the flash to create dark shadows which looks quite interesting. I created both pages on Photoshop, using mainly the text tool, shape tool and border tool. My knowledge of Photoshop has impoved and I can now use layers successfully. Overall this task helped me to understand Photoshop and the Digital SLR Cameras more.

No comments:

Post a Comment